A quick, easy, healthy, and delicious meal with brown rice, black beans, and bell peppers, spinach, and onions.
- 15 oz black or red beans
- 1 ½ cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup dry quick cooking brown rice
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon chili powder – divided
- 1 ½ teaspoons cumin – divided
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground sea salt – divided add more or less as desired
- ½ teaspoon of ground black pepper add more or less as desired
- 1 medium onion – chopped
- 1 red bell pepper – removed and chopped
- 3 cups spinach
- 1 teaspoon of avocado or extra virgin-olive oil or 2 tablespoons of vegetable broth
- ½ cup of chopped cilantro optional
- Lime wedges optional
- US Customary – Metric
- Drain and rinse the beans and put them in a medium sauce pan and cover with water. Bring to a boil at high heat, once the water is boiling reduce the heat to simmer. Add 1 tablespoon of chili powder, 1 teaspoon cumin, turmeric, and ground pepper and stir well to combine. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the sea salt at the end.
- In a large skillet with a lid, heat the oil, or, 2 tablespoons of vegetable broth if you don’t cook with oil, on medium heat. When the oil/broth is hot, add the onion and bell pepper and sauté until tender. Pour the 1 and ½ cups of vegetable broth over the vegetables and bring to a boil. When the broth is boiling stir in the rice, cover, and reduce the heat to simmer for the amount of time directed on the package. Usually 20 minutes.
- When the rice is done, remove the lid, add the spinach, and put the lid back on. Let sit for 5 minutes.